Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How to lose weight - First Stage

This is in continuation to my earlier Post on How to lose weight.

I have reached my first milestone date: 15th March 2010. Also I am pleased that I have achieved my first goal of X + 15 Kilos ( losing 3 kilos in a month). There were various paths to achieve it but nothing was more accurate than "Knowing Myself" which lead to success (by understanding facts about me)
Let me share how I reached the goal. I did following simple things :-
  • Counting/measuring amount of food I eat during my meals. Though it sounds childish but it proved out to be really effective. Generally when a person is over-weight he does not realize that he is over-eating. This can be due to various reasons like watching television while eating or gossiping while eating or by doing things which gives one pleasure. So while doing these pleasurable things a person does not realize over-eating. Though, for sure, this realization comes after over-eating : )
I consciously observed how much I eat. Not thinking to control my eating but just making a conscious note on how much I eat. For example if I eat following for my lunch/dinner
* 3 chapatis (rotis) / Plateful of rice
* One sweat dish
* 2 vegetables
* Some fruit
* Others like : pickle

Now what I did was to make an effort to have my eating consistent. (Remember not reducing anything in my diet). So if my standard diet is 3 rotis (chapattis) then I make sure I don’t eat 4th or even a bite extra. This helped me control my over-eating.
  • The second important thing I did was to say NO to following things
a. Fried Food
b. Sweets

Again for doing this I have to keep facts in mind. Specially keep in mind environment dependencies. So even if you are able to achieve 80% control; it is great effort.
  • Walk where you can avoid luxuries. For example I stay on 4th Floor. And generally everyone is tired after work so I used to take an elevator rather than stairs. After 15/2/2010 for 95% of times I took stairs rather than elevator. After following this strictly I found I was covering at least 10 trips every day.

With following just three above simple things & "knowing myself" i was able to meet my first goal. I hope people who read it can actually feel that reducing weight is achievable.

Now my next target is reducing my weight to X+10 Kilos in next 2 months.
Things to focus on
  • Keep following the above mentioned things.
  • Don’t be complacent
  • Be concentrated on the final goal
  • Take step by step approach.
Will write again when I reach next milestone {X+12 kilos or 15/5/X whichever comes sooner :)}

3 comments:

cris4047 said...

This is really nice. I also have some extra flab on my body and so, I have been planning on reducing weight for a long time. But controlling food has been really hard. I have a dangerous love for chocolates. Seeing that someone else is achieving this has inspired me. Im also gonna try from now on
Thanks :)

Ti-Mamah said...

Wow,thanks alot.I gain weight like crazy,i want to lose them but i cannot control what i eat so I will try to do what i just read and walk more...Thanks

Unknown said...

very helpful info here!